Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Chicken Enchiladas

About a month ago I was looking for a tasty Mexican dish to make for Cinco de Mayo when I came across a recipe for chicken enchiladas on Pinterest. This was on the 5th of May and since then I have made these enchiladas SIX TIMES.

There have been days when the family and I were just out running errands and my dad has spoken up and said, "Do we have everything you would need to make enchiladas at the house?" and if I didn't, we would go out of our way to the grocery store to get whatever I needed to make them.

They never last more than 24 hours. They're gone. An entire dish of enchiladas vanishes before your eyes like magic.

I almost don't want to give this recipe to you. Let me warn you that it is dangerously easy to go into a food coma from eating these. It's like a virus. We've caught the chicken enchilada fever and the only cure is more chicken enchiladas.

But I also feel as if your life is not complete until you have had these enchiladas, so I will share them with you.

INGREDIENTS

4 cups of cooked chicken, shredded chicken breast 
1 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded cheese
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup of either canned tomatoes or salsa
an avocado or 2 (optional)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
8 8 inch soft tortilla shells (for a 9x13 baking dish)
3/4 cups of MORE shredded cheese

This may seem like a lot of ingredients, but I assure you it's not. I don't like doing recipes that require me to buy 30 different things from the store and hike the Andes for goat fur and gold coins from a leprechaun.

The first thing you're going to do is cook your chicken. I get those big bags of frozen chicken in the freezer aisle and grill them on our Forman grill, then completely mutilate them with forks once they're cooked through. It doesn't really matter HOW you cook them, you could boil them or bake them or whatever you like best, as long as by the end they're cooked through and shredded.

Bro tip; don't use a blender to try to shred the chicken. Just trust me.

While your chicken is cooking, get out a medium sized bowl. In the bowl mix your sour cream and 1 cup of shredded cheese together. Add your chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon oregano, pepper, and salt to the sour cream/cheese mixture and mix until all of those spices are incorporated.

Once the chicken is cooked, you'll need to shred it. When I shred the chicken, I either put a portion of it in a bowl and use two forks to rip it apart, or a take a knife and cut the chicken into little pieces. Whichever way you 'shred' it, it's going to take a while, so you'll have to be a little patient with it.

After shredding all your chicken, grab a very large skillet and dump all of the chicken inside. Dump your sour cream mixture into the skillet as well, and mix the two together.

Put the skillet on the stove and heat the mixture until the cheese starts to melt. Once the cheese has melted, pour in the salsa OR the canned tomatoes (whichever you decided to use) and mix well.

At this point you can add your avocados (if you want). My family is avocado crazy and we had some ones that needed t be used up, so I threw them in there.

Preheat your oven to 350.

Next, grab some tortillas and a 9 x 13 baking dish.

Start filling the tortilla shells with the enchilada mix and rolling them up, placing them side by side in the baking dish.


Every single time I've made this I've wound up with a ton more enchilada insides than I was able to fit into the tortillas, so I put a little Mackenzie twist on it and;


Spread it all out


Sprinkle 3/4 cup of cheese over the whole ensemble and pop it in the oven for 20 minutes.



20 minutes later;


You've got yourself  a dish of enchiladas worthy of the queen of England's dinner party.

Have fun eating them :)


No comments:

Post a Comment