Sunday, December 23, 2012

Gingerbread Cookies

SO IT'S ALMOST CHRISTMAS.

AND IT STILL HASN'T SNOWED AT MY HOUSE.

OOOUUUUTTTRAAAGGGGGEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm kind of frustrated with that, if you couldn't tell. What makes me super duper sad is that we didn't have snow for Christmas LAST year either!! SADS. SO MUCH SADS.

:(

Anyway, since it doesn't FEEL like Christmas, I thought that maybe some very Christmas-y cookies would get me more in the holiday spirit.

Also I had all of the ingredients for this on hand so I didn't have to put effort into going to the store.

GINGERBREAD COOKIES YEAH;

Ingredients

4 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin spice
2 tsp ground ginger
2 sticks butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 cup molasses
1 egg

So for these cookies I used a stand mixer (thanks grandma for letting me borrow yours). You don't HAVE to use one, but it made it a lot easier.

Just a tip;
Make sure it's turned off before you plug it in. I got punched in the stomach by a mixing machine. 

Let's get started *cracks knuckles dramatically*.

First thing you're going to do is mix the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and spices together in a big bowl. These are going to make a TON of cookies, FYI. So be prepared. 


Next put the sugar and butter in a bowl and cream them together.


Add the molasses and egg into the sugar and butter mixture. Be careful, I found out that molasses is a lot more runny than I thought it was. I may or may not have spilled a little.


Or a lot. Don't judge.

But seriously, am I the only one who thinks that that stuff looks like poison? 

I just want to point out that once this stuff is all mixed together it looks really weird.. Like a science experiment. Do not fret, it looks more edible once you put the flour mixture in. Which is what you're going to do next.


Mix it until it's just combined, then cover it and out it in the fridge for an hour. 

*One hour later*
*Hopefully you read that in the Spongebob voice*

OKAY. Preheat your oven to 350 and cover some baking sheets with wax paper. 

Get out that cookie dough. GENEROUSLY flour your countertop or table or floor or wherever you want to roll out these cookies. Also generously flour your rolling pin. 

Then start rolling the dough. I suggest doing it in sections. You'll want the cookies to be pretty thin, but it doesn't really matter how thick they are as long as they're not ridiculous. The thicker ones will take longer to cool.

Once they're rolled out, cut them into Christmas-y shapes. I chose cute little trees.


Put them on the baking sheets and put them in the oven for 10 minutes, and turn them at the 5 minute mark.

You won't get to see them decorated, maily because I'm an idiot. I tried to melt the fosting just a little to make it softer, but I overheated it and it melted.


Jeez, frosting. I only heated you for 45 seconds, no need to have a MELTDOWN.

(My sincerest apologies for that joke.)



 This is how many cookies I got out of this recipe. I know, that's a lot of cookies. Thankfully it's Christmas so I can dump some of these off to other people so it's their problem. 

YAY CHRISTMAS.






Simple, not too mess, and festive. Checkmate, Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment